Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The First of Many


Well, it's late, but I thought I'd hop on the bandwagon and join yet another site that will keep me connected to the world outside of southern California. I always read others' blogs, but (for fear of another "obligation", I suppose) I've never taken the time to create my own. I'll keep this one short and sweet. I'm reading an EXTREMELY thought-provoking book called "Blue Like Jazz" Nonreligious Views on Christian Spirituality" by Donald Miller, and, though the theology of it is a bit shaky, it is still a very good read. I'm not done with it yet, but so far, it is such a down to earth and relevant view of modern day Christianity and how we can apply it to our lives. I guess you can say it's "real". I'll keep you updated on my thoughts, but as for now I'll just leave you with a couple of excerpts from the 2nd chapter. It is Don talking about his revelation as he was talking with his friend. They were discussing the horrible things that were going on in the Congo - genocide, rape, the whole 9 - and his friend asked Don if he thought himself capable of such things... What made Don different from the murderers and rapists in the Congo? His answer? Nothing. He pondered:


"It is hard for us to admit we have a sin nature
because we live in this system of checks and balances. If we get caught, we will
be punished. But that doesn't make us good people; it only makes us subdued.
Just think about the Congress and Senate and even the president. The genius of
the American system is not freedom; the genius of the American system is checks
and balances. Nobody gets all the power. Everybody is watching everybody else.
It is as if the founding fathers knew, intrinsically, that the soul of man,
unwatched, is perverse."


He continues:



"I don't have to watch the evening news
to see that the
world is bad. I only have to look at myself. I am not
browbeating myself here; I
am only saying that true change, true
life-giving, God-honoring change would
have to start with the
individual. I
was the very problem I had been protesting.
I wanted to
make a sign that
read "I AM THE PROBLEM!".... I think Jesus feels strongly
about communicating the idea of our brokenness, and I think it is worth
reflection. Nothing is going to change in the Congo until you and I figure out
what is wrong with the person in the mirror."

Kinda makes you go "Hmmm", am I right?




2 comments:

  1. I like you! Seriously...I came back to read more (I've obviously not made it far) but, I like you! You remind me of...me. (that sounds a bit self absorbed) I LOVED this book (I'll admit, I have not read all of it, I think I will now) and wonder if you might enjoy "The Shack". I'm processing it and hope to blog about it soon.

    Can I also say, you are brave. Equally as brave as your husband, I believe. I will remember your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amber! Yes, I read The Shack sometime last year and I LOVED it! I remember staying up until I couldn't hold my eyes open anymore because I was so glued to it. You should definitely write a blog about it!

    And thank you so much for the compliments. One word I definitely don't use to describe myself is brave, but I appreciate your words so much. Thank you for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete