Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Never-Ending Battle

(I am aware that most people post "before and after" photos, but I'll be posting, before, before, after, and back to the start photos, since I am a human yo-yo when it comes to my weight)


Man, for as long as I can remember I've struggled with my weight. I remember being called "Baby Shamu" on the bus everyday when I was in 4th grade. I was always the biggest (or one of the biggest) girls on my cheerleading team, my softball team, and of all my friends.




















Anyhow, my senior year I reached an all-time high. I weighed more than I ever had and could not fit in any of my clothes. I was fed up. (You may have read the essay I wrote about this story.)




















Then, I won a gym membership to P.T. Gym and met a trainer who gave me a bet. This bet helped me start losing weight. I guess the motivation of being held accountable by someone I admired was the key. Anyways, that trainer quit the gym and accepted a job out of state. Since I was a "success story", so to speak, and since I was a young girl, I got offered a job at P.T. Being around people working out all of the time, and having to uphold an image, I lost even more weight. I did it all the "healthy way", though. I cut back my calories and exercised nearly everyday. I was also dating someone who made me want to lose weight, but we won't go into that. I did take Adipex off and on, which my doctor prescribed to me, since i had so much trouble losing weight, even with doing all the right things. Overall, I went from weighing 177 to 135 in the course of a year. It wasn't enough though. I worked at a gym, I was surrounded by people trying to perfect their bodies, and I was obsessed. I remember gaining 4 pounds and losing it! Since I worked at the gym, I had a key, and I went there at 1am one night and worked out for an hour, crying the whole time because I felt fat. Needless to say, though I was doing the "healthy" thing physically, there was no emotional or mental health about it.



















After working at the gym 2 years, I quit (mainly because I couldn't take working for my boss anymore) and got a job at a restaurant. After going from being around people working out all the time to watching people eat, I started gaining. When I got married I weighed 147, and before I moved to California I weighed 150. I've been in California for 3 months, and with the stresses of moving, finding a job, not to mention living with a man who can eat whatever he wants, and every other excuse I can think of, I now weigh around 155. I never stop "trying" to lose weight, but you have no clue how quickly my body puts weight on. I got down to 153, had a cheat day, and the next day I was at 158. It just happens. I'm not one of those people who can eat even 1800 calories a day without gaining weight. Just about no girl my age works out as hard as I do, but it gets me nowhere. I only maintain, if anything. Can you imagine how quickly I would balloon up if I were to eat what I want and not work out? Now, I know to many of you 155 does not sound like a lot, but I'm short and I have a round face, so it shows on me. Plus, going from having an unhealthy obsession with my weight to gaining 20 pounds... well, that just doesn't sit well with me.

I keep trying to get really motivated, but I lose it so quickly. I was looking through pictures of me in 2007 today, and I couldn't believe I thought I was fat. It really made me depressed. I would give so much to be at that weight again. I know it's ridiculous, but I also know that every woman struggles with this in one way or another.

I bought a book called "Eat this, not that", and I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. I am also thinking of seeing a doctor when I move back to Albany to help me get on the right track. Maybe start back on Adipex once I wean off of Zoloft. I don't know. All I know is, I am on the same track I was when I gained all that weight, and I refuse to get that way again.

I'm just especially down about this today, so if you have any encouragement, I could sure use it.

2 comments:

  1. Have I told you yet...you remind me of..ME? :0) Obviously..I don't have to tell you..I'm a bit (dare I say it?) older than you. What I can say is...it gets better. At the ripe old age of (almost)35, I have never felt better about myself. It has nothing to do with my size. The way to describe it is..I feel comfortable in my own skin. I'm feeling like that comes with age.

    I wish that I had better words of encouragement. When I attempt to figure out how my own "switch" flipped I can only think that it had something to do with the way my husband has loved me..for the past (nearly) 14 years. Unconditionally.

    You know that you're a beautiful girl...love yourself where you are. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoot, I love you so very much and ..you sound so much like me ..about your weight..remember when I said I felt fat all my life..when I look at photos of my wedding or right after I got married, I was not fat..but thought I was..how sad...I sent a silly reply on Facebook about your bet...sorry I kidded about something that is not funny right now...the main thing I can say is...give this to the Lord...He wants you to not only be His beautiful work of art...but to feel beautiful ..as His work of art...I promise I will help you when you get home...in any way I can...but let's both remember..our words do factor into this, too...so I remember reading a Godly weight loss book...and the author said to say over and over ...GOD IS SLENDERIZING MY BODY QUICKLY, SAFELY AND EASILY...IN JESUS' NAME! I love you...you are beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete